Home of the 43rd Ward Democrats - Michele Smith Committeeman

featuring political news and community information for 43rd ward residents and businesses -
2527 N. Lincoln Avenue - 773-661-2133

Monday, January 12, 2009

It's An Open Primary in 5th CD!

The Committeemen of the 5th Congressional District met for a slating session this past Saturday. The meeting was convened to hear from potential candidates and decide whether or not to officially endorse one of them as the Party candidate.

As I indicated in my last post to this blog, in the interest of fair and open government, I am in support of an Open Primary and committed to providing a platform for all candidates who have announced in this race.

So, I am pleased and proud that in my first slating session as Democratic Committeeman of the 43rd Ward I was able to cast my vote for an Open Primary and that it carried the day!

According to Lynn Sweet of the Chicago Sun-Times:

"Michelle Smith, the new committeewoman of the 43rd Ward, argued with O'Connor about his suggestion that "...as committemen we 'shirk our responsibilities' by supporting an open primary."

"I disagree," she said, noting that Barack Obama never would have been slated to be the Democratic candidate for president, she said.

"I don't know if we're shirking our responsibilities if we fail to endorse someone," she said. "I wonder if we are embracing our responsibilities to build involvement and to revitalize this party. I am quite concerned that should we choose on just three days' notice to slate a candidate, we will turn off the voters.""

Read Lynn Sweet's complete coverag of the slating session at: http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2009/01/omg_open_primary_for_rahm_eman.html

No comments: