Home of the 43rd Ward Democrats - Michele Smith Committeeman

featuring political news and community information for 43rd ward residents and businesses -
2527 N. Lincoln Avenue - 773-661-2133

Monday, July 12, 2010

I'm Running

. . . or rather, racewalking, the Chicago Marathon, for charity, and I need you to help me finish the race and meet my goal!

I've certainly learned that there are some things in life that require consistency, dedication, and persistence. One of them is exercise, of which I have not been truly a fan. But since I've taken up racewalking with my club, Chicago Walkers, I've become more fit and have reached some personal goals.

I've never done a marathon - until now. To help keep me motivated throughout the summer, I have dedicated my race to raise money for Rock For Reading, a local non-profit that leverages the power of rock to promote literacy throughout the Chicago area.

Learning to read and write for academic purposes begins at a very young age. Kindergarten through third grade is devoted to learning to read. Beyond third grade, children are transitioned to using reading to learn. Without those skills, their access to information becomes limited. Furthermore, children from low-income families who don't engage in conversation regularly at home enter the fourth grade at a deficit of 8,000 words versus their middle-class peers (Snow, C., Harvard Education Letter, July/August 2005). That is a 60% achievement gap!

Rock For Reading raises awareness about these atrocities of illiteracy as well as provides grants and book donations to agencies and schools serving both children and adults. To learn more about Rock For Reading, check out their website at www.rockforreading.org.

Please show your support for literacy, and my 26.2 mile challenge, by donating to my marathon fundraising campaign. I need to raise $1000. To reach this, consider donating at the marathon level of $26.20 or $1/mile, or more! Of course you are always welcome to give the amount that works best for you. You can donate here.

No comments: