Home of the 43rd Ward Democrats - Michele Smith Committeeman

featuring political news and community information for 43rd ward residents and businesses -
2527 N. Lincoln Avenue - 773-661-2133

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I Got My Share...

... of vegetables, that is. I've been a farmers market shopper as long as they've been in the neighborhood. I've committed myself to healthier cooking and eating and recently learned about Community Supported Agriculture "shares."

Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) directly links consumers and farmers. Members make an up-front payment at the beginning of the growing season that contributes to the farm's operating budget. In return, members receive a weekly share of the farm's produce. Sounded like a great way to get me to eat more vegetables and try some new things.

I got my share from Growing Home which is a farm with a unique mission: providing job training for homeless and low-income people in Chicago through organic agriculture. Plus, its office is in the 43rd Ward, right on Clark Street.

Growing Home operates three farm sites, a ten acre farm in Marseilles (Illinois), plots at 58th and Ashland and 51st and Laflin on the South Side. All are certified organic.

I signed on in late May for a full summer CSA "share," and you can see from the photo what beautiful produce I've been getting. I simply pick it up each week from the Green City Market.

Most of the farmers at the Green City Market offer CSAs. Click here to find a list the farmers who offer CSAs in the Chicago Area, just look for "GC" for farms that deliver at the Green City Market.

No comments: